Saturday 5 November 2011

How to Paint Miniatures by Robert Hughes and Elizabeth Johnson

I have seen miniatures many times in galleries but hadn't really thought about trying one for myself until I came across this little book.  There is a interesting short history of the miniature but that is only a few pages in length.  The most interesting section for me was on materials and techniques and is certainly worth a read.  I had never thought of an plastic replacement for ivory as a base.  The book subtitle is 'Step-by-step projects in watercolour, gouache and oils.' and this was perhaps a rather disappointing aspect of the book.  Not that the content was poor, just that many of the projects and subject matter, composition, etc. could have been in any art instruction book and not exclusively on miniatures.  What I took away from reading was that it seems that the 'secret' of painting miniatures is to use a very fine brush and a magnifying glass!  An interesting little book but it hasn't inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment